Teens & Faith: Hard questions about youth ministry

It's not easy to work with youth in the church, but some are gifted for it. We all need to share our experience and work together for the success of the Church.

Monday, February 27, 2006

How much is too much?

Yesterday was Sunday. Two days ago I learned that my grandmother had had a serious stroke and wasn't expected to live long. In my Sr. High Sunday school class I was teaching about what Jesus had to say about families/honoring mother & father. Jesus certainly was consist in his teachings, but the family thing might appear to be inconsistent if you aren't willing to look deeper. I used my real time problem regarding my grandmother as an example of what I should do. I live 1500 miles from my extended family. If my dad had called to say, "We need you to come home now" on Saturday, what should I have done? In Matthew 8:20-21 Jesus says to let the dead bury their dead and follow Him. Yikes. So would I have missed my Sunday ministries in order to go home to Ohio? That was the question I wrestled with to provide an example for the students. It was tough. I didn't break down or anything. (I did that during the 8am worship.) I didn't accuse anyone of anything. We just tried to reason it out.

What do you think? Was that appropriate?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home