Teens & Faith: Hard questions about youth ministry

It's not easy to work with youth in the church, but some are gifted for it. We all need to share our experience and work together for the success of the Church.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

MySpace is a mixed bag to me.

I have just finally caught on to the popularity of MySpace.com in the last couple of months. Last week I went looking for as many of the students in my ministry as I could find. Over half of my students are using it as it turns out. And many of them are of questionable age to be on there. Heck, it turns out that I have several 100 year old mid-high students! They are really spry for being centenarians.

When I told one of my parents about my expedition into MySpace-land, I was told that effectively it is an evil thing that teens shouldn't be messing with. Honestly, I have a hard time disagreeing with the person. I find more danger than benefit in it.

First, no one is protecting you (or even warning you) from putting vital information out there that a predator (Let's not kid ourselves, they're out there.), a stalker or a identity thief could readily use for bad purposes. Some of my students try to be careful to avoid using their names at all and they make their pages private for friends only. Others have everything from full name to address to physical description available for all to see publically.

Second, it seems to encourage students (like many places on the WWW) to be something that they're not. There are kids in my ministry that have pages that do not reflect the person I know at church. There is a real lack of authenticity that is being fostered in such an environment. You can pretend to be almost anything you like. As Christ-followers aren't we called to live lives that are the same wherever we go? Paul may have been all things to all people, but I believe that Paul was still Paul wherever he went. When "Fawn" is a leader of the youth group at church and a regular Bible study participant and a good student in person but a moody, angry, "emo" hater on-line, it tells me that "Fawn" is struggling with her own reality. MySpace isn't a good place to work that out. No one is holding anyone accountable out there, that I can see.

Third, some students are keeping this stuff from their parents and/or supportive adults. They are hiding their activity. They are living a sort of lie of omission. That's not healthy for their relationships.

There is real, healthy self-expression going on with some students. I have one student who writes from his heart, and it is full of pain. It's where he really is. Real communication is not entirely absent from such a place, although it is not often seen. Some substantive bulletins or messages are sent; real things are said and meant. Others are no more substantive than rice cakes; light and fluffy and filling for about 5 minutes. We need to be able to express ourselves in more than Hallmark comments.

I know that despite my mixed feelings and findings, it is where they are. So I have a presence out there. But I will continue to promote face-to-face conversation, and real expression and authentic living for those I am with in ministry.

It's a mixed bag. I think it is neutral at best. I am trying to present the reality of it as I see it to my students.

What are you doing with it?

2 Comments:

Blogger Cory said...

Interesting thoughts. I finally broke down and created a MySpace profile a couple of weeks ago to see what all the fuss was about. I would tend to agree with you as to the positive and negative aspects of MySpace. I see students struggling with identity. I see students portraying themselves to be something other than the students I know at church. It's a mixed bag for sure, but I feel like I now have a better understanding of what our students are dealing with and how they're choosing to deal with it.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Likewise...my kids asked me to get one. I had one, you know, to check up on them. I went public recently.

I find it interesting. Like you, I have some kids that seem very different online. Of course, the reality is probably more likely that they are more themselves online, and less themselves at church. They've learned how to put their church face on.

I struggle with what to do with what I see and read. I feel it is very important for me to be present with my students on my space without passing judgement, you know, unconditional love. But, shouldn't there be a place to say, "So, what's up with that?" I think I'll probably do this more one on one. Not sure.

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home